Bridging the gap between clinical and community resources, the Quincy Weymouth Wellness Initiative offers a variety of evidence-based interventions and health education programs that address the priority areas of diabetes, hypertension, falls prevention among older adults, tobacco, and substance abuse. Programs are offered at no cost to participants and are available to adults age 18 and older who live and work in Quincy and Weymouth. Programs are scheduled on an ongoing basis at a various times and locations in the communities we serve.
- My Life, My Health: This six-week program, developed by Stanford University Medical Center, is an evidence based self-management program for individuals living with or caring for someone with one or more chronic health conditions, such as high blood pressure, that teaches participants how to set and meet personal goals, increase energy levels, handle stress and learn to relax, and improve communication with your doctor and others.
- My Life, My Health – Diabetes Edition: This six-week workshop, developed by Stanford University Medical Center, is a self-management program for those living with or caring for someone with diabetes or pre-diabetes to learn skills to prevent, manage and cope with the disease.
- Diabetes Education Program: The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program provides a supportive environment where participants work together in a small group to learn about healthier eating and increasing their physical activity in order to reduce their risk for developing diabetes.
- Matter of Balance: An eight-week exercise program for patients who have fallen in the past or are at risk for falls designed to improve participant balance, strength and coordination.
- Tai Chi: Noncompetitive, self-paced program comprised of gentle physical exercise, stretching and deep breathing / 2 times per week (50 cumulative hours recommended).
- Nutrition Programs: Nutrition education (Healthier You!) and/or healthy cooking class (Healthy Eating) that teach participants about healthy food choices, portion sizes and how to make low-cost meals to keep you
- Tobacco Cessation Resources: The Quincy Weymouth Wellness Initiative employs trained Tobacco Treatment Specialists to offer a variety of phone-based, individual and group counseling options to help people quit smoking.